Marcia Underwood, Jessica Pavone, Kevin Hawkins
Organisation and country:
The Brookings Institution, United States of America
The study, Supporting Durable Solutions to Urban, Post-Disaster Displacement: Challenges and Opportunities in Haiti, examines the question of durable solutions to displacement in Haiti four years after the devastating earthquake. This graphic highlights the key findings from the study, which draws on the results of focus groups in camps and communities, site visits, in-depth interviews and a survey of 2,576 households (outside camps) in Port-au-Prince.
The graphic was developed as a companion to the report: Supporting Durable Solutions to Urban, Post-Disaster Displacement: Challenges and Opportunities in Haiti.
The objective of the graphic was to succinctly visually summarise the report findings regarding the difficult situation many individuals are still facing, even several years since the earthquake struck, in order to encourage policies that address these challenges. The target audience is broadly the foreign policy, humanitarian affairs, and global development community generally, and individuals involved in global IDP (internally displaced persons) work specifically. The graphic has been used on our web site, and printed graphics were used at a related event.
This visualisation was part of a broader integrated communications strategy to:
- examine the question of durable solutions to displacement in Port-au-Prince;
- recognise the challenges faced in Haiti; and
- provide the key findings of the report to domestic and international policymakers, media and those intimately involved with humanitarian efforts in Haiti and beyond.
The visualization was promoted/communicated via several different channels and platforms:
- report landing page with data visualisation highlighted prominently
- separate interactive landing page
- blog post
- media and policymaker outreach
- digital outreach, including email and social media (Twitter, Facebook). This including using the #DurableSolutions for the report, blog post, and event in order to engage our target audience in conversation.