Data visualisation creation tools
Static visualisation tools
Interactive visualisation tools
Data scraping tools
Data cleaning tools
- OpenRefine: A free, open source, powerful tool for working with messy data
Data visualisation programming
- VIDI: A suite of powerful intuitive Drupal data-visualisation modules for anyone to use on any standard set of data ranging from government databases to demographics and statistics.
Data visualisation sharing platforms
- SavvyRoo: A platform for creating, sharing and finding data.
- Slideshare: Share what you know and love through presentations, infographics, documents and more
Other data visualisation resources
Blogs and websites
- Datavizhub: A space to share examples of great visualizations, resources, tools, and ideas for making information accessible.
- Drawing by Numbers: Drawing by Numbers is a resource on data visualization for activists. It features a guide on working with data and information for advocacy, and reviews of visualisation tools.
- Examples of innovative think tank communications: A Pinterest Board from WonkComms that includes data visualisations.
- Guardian Datablog: Facts are sacred, and so is this blog. It is a fine purveyor of open data sets and is full of great ideas about how to make that information accessible.
- HELPMEVIZ: Helping people with everyday data visualizations
- On Think Tanks - On Data Visualisation: These blogs have been crafted specifically to support the On Think Tanks Data Visualisation competition. The wider blog also has helpful resources on digital communication.
- Visualising Data: This website provides readers with inspiring insights into the contemporary techniques, resources, applications and best practices in data visualisation.
- Views of the World: A blog that explores the representation of cartographic data.
- Visualizing Information for Advocacy - An Introduction to Information Design: This manual from the Open Society Foundations helps NGOs and advocates strengthen their campaigns and projects through communicating vital information with greater impact
Other collections of data visualization resources
Data visual inspiration
Collections of datavis
- Dadaviz: A curated collection of some of the web's best data visualisations.
- Gapminder: Is a non-profit venture to help make public data from several multi-national organisations accessible.
- Information is Beautiful: A blog dedicated to distilling the world’s data, information and knowledge into beautiful, interesting and, above all, useful visualisations, infographics and diagrams.
- WTFviz: A blog that collects examples of Visualizations that make no sense, for your NONspiration.
Other data visualisation competitions
- Data Journalism Awards 2013: A competition for journalists -- and a great resource for others looking for data visualisation inspiration!
- Human Development Data Visualization Competition: the Human Development Report Office (HDRO) organized a data visualization competition based on its own human development data.
- Living Data Competition from CGIAR: The “Living Data” competition encourages the online public to find new, enticing and innovative online ways to present CGIAR research facts, figures and open data sources.
- Kantar Information Is Beautiful Awards 2014: A celebration of excellence and beauty in data visualizations, infographics and information art.