Competition Terms and Conditions
1. These terms and conditions together with any specific rules set out in Competition Notices (as defined below) are the Competition Rules ("Rules") and apply to competitions ("Competition") featuring in any On Think Tanks publications and/or on any On Think Tanks Internet site unless otherwise expressly stated. By entering a Competition, entrants agree to be bound by these Rules.
2. Rules specific to each Competition are displayed on the Competition Internet site ("Competition Notice") or in a notice in which the Competition appeared and are incorporated into the Rules. In the event of discrepancy between these terms and conditions and the Competition Notice, the Competition Notice shall prevail.
3. On Think Tanks reserves the right to cancel or amend the Competition or the Rules without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside On Think Tank’s reasonable control. Any changes will be posted either within these terms and conditions or the Competition Notice.
4. In the event of any dispute regarding the Rules, conduct, results and all other matters relating to a Competition, the decision of the judge(s) shall be final and no correspondence or discussion shall be entered into.
5. To qualify to enter the Competition the lead applicant must be currently employed by a developing country think tank. The address you provide with your competition entry ("Entry") may be used to send any prizes so please make sure this is correct.
6. Employees of On Think Tanks or any associated company and their immediate families, persons connected with the competition/prize draw and their immediate families i.e. prize sponsors, judges & their agents are not eligible to enter the Competition.
7. Additional eligibility requirements may apply to a specific Competition.
8. By entering the Competition, you hereby warrant that all information submitted by you is true, current and complete. On Think Tanks reserves the right to verify the eligibility of all entrants.
9. On Think Tanks assumes that by using the website and entering the Competition (and you warrant that) you are aged 18 or over and have consented to the Competition Rules.
10. On Think Tanks reserves the right to disqualify any entrant if it has reasonable grounds to believe the entrant has breached any of the Rules.
11. In the event that any entrant is disqualified from the Competition, On Think Tanks in its sole discretion may decide whether a replacement should be selected. In this event, any further entrant will be selected on the same criteria as the original entrant and will be subject to these Rules.
12. Only one entry per person per Competition round is allowed (except where the Competition Notice states that more than one entry can be submitted) and any entrant who enters more than the permitted maximum will be disqualified. Where a winner has been selected and On Think Tanks discovers or has reasonable grounds to believe the winner has made more than one Entry, On Think Tanks reserves the right to select an alternative winner. Any further winner will be selected on the same criteria as the original winner and will be subject to these Rules.
13. Competition entries must be made in the manner and by the closing date and time specified on the Competition Notice. Failure to do so will disqualify the entry.
14. Only one entry per person will be accepted. If it becomes apparent that a participant is using a computer(s) to circumvent this term by, for example, the use of 'brute force', 'script' or any other automated means, that person/those e-mail addresses will be disqualified and any prize award will be void.
15. There is no purchase requirement to enter an online Competition. There is no charge to register with the On Think Tanks website if registration is required as part of the entry process.
16. Proof of posting or emailing cannot be accepted as proof of delivery.
17. On Think Tanks cannot accept responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft, destruction, alteration of, or unauthorised access to Entries, or Entries lost or delayed whether or not arising during operation or transmission as a result of server functions, virus, bugs or other causes outside its control.
18. Entrants should note that unless stated otherwise, On Think Tanks does not accept responsibility for the return of any Entries, including those consisting of artistic or other material.
19. Prize winners will be chosen as specified in the Competition Notice, from all qualifying Entries within 28 days of the closing date specified in the Competition Notice. In all matters, the decision of the judge(s) shall be final and no correspondence or discussion shall be entered into.
20. Prize winners will be notified in the manner and within the time specified on the Competition Notice. Return of any prize notification as undeliverable or failure to reply as specified in the notification (and within the time stated) may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner. If more than one prize is awarded only one prize per entrant will be awarded. Competition winner(s)’ names may be published on the On Think Tanks website or in print publications.
21. Claims for prizes must be made in the manner and within the time specified on the Competition Notice. Failure to claim a prize within this time or in the manner specified may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner.
22. Prizes are non–transferable and there is no cash alternative. On Think Tanks reserves the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater value at any time.
23. Prizes are awarded at the discretion of On Think Tanks and no prizes will be awarded as a result of improper actions by or on behalf of any entrant.
24. All taxes, insurances, transfers, spending money and other expenses (including meals or personal expenses upgrades etc.) as the case may be, unless specifically stated, are the sole responsibility of the prize winner.
Intellectual Property Rights & Use of Entries
25. On Think Tanks does not, unless we agree this with you, claim any rights of ownership in your Entry. As such, you retain ownership and copyright, although On think Tanks will be able to use Entries as set out in the Rules, you will also have the right to use your Entry in any way you choose. Where any Entry is to be used in a different way (e.g. we are asking to own this) this will be made clear in the Competition Notice and you will then be able to choose whether to enter the Competition.
26. In consideration of On Think Tanks agreeing to consider entrants to the Competition, each entrant hereby agrees that On Think Tanks (and third parties authorised by On Think Tanks) may make any and all Entries available in their publications and on their websites and any other media, whether now known or invented in the future. You now grant On Think Tanks (and third parties authorised by On think Tanks) a non-exclusive, worldwide, irrevocable licence (for the full period of any rights in the Entry) to use, display, publish, transmit, copy, make derivative works from, edit, alter, store, re-format, sell and sub-licence the Entry for such purposes.
27. On Think Tanks does not guarantee to use or otherwise make available any Entry. On Think Tanks may, in appropriate circumstances, and at its sole discretion, reject, edit, remove or disable access to Entries that appear to be legally or otherwise problematic e.g. infringe the copyright or other intellectual property or privacy rights of others, are defamatory etc. or for any other reason.
28. Your entry and any information submitted by you must be personal to and relate specifically to you. You hereby warrant that your Entry and all information which you submit and/or distribute will not infringe the intellectual property, privacy or any other rights of any third party, and will not contain anything which is libellous, defamatory, obscene, indecent, harassing or threatening. If relevant, On Think Tanks reserves the right, but not the obligation, to screen, filter and/or monitor information provided by you and to edit, refuse to distribute or remove the same.
30. On Think Tanks cannot accept any responsibility for any damage, loss, injury or disappointment suffered by any entrant entering the Competition or as a result of accepting any prize. On Think Tanks is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment or software, failure of any email or entry to be received on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet, telephone lines or at any web site, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to entrant's or any other person's computer or mobile telephone related to or resulting from participation in the Competition. Nothing shall exclude On Think Tanks’s liability for death or personal injury as a result of its negligence.
Data Protection and Publicity
31. Winners may be requested to take part in promotional activity and On Think Tanks reserves the right to use the names and addresses of winners in any publicity both in print and online.
32. Any personal data relating to entrants will not be disclosed to a third party without the individual’s consent. Data relating to entrants will be retained by On Think Tanks for a reasonable period after the Competition closes to assist On Think Tanks to operate competitions in a consistent manner and to deal with any queries on the Competition.
33. By providing On Think Tanks with your personal data you consent to On Think Tanks transferring your personal data to countries or jurisdictions which do not provide the same level of data protection as the UK. If On Think Tanks does make such a transfer it will, if appropriate, put a contract in place to ensure that your personal data is protected.
34. The Competition and Rules will be governed by English law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England. Where the site and/or the Interactive Services are accessed from Scotland or Northern Ireland, this Agreement shall be governed by the laws of Scotland or Northern Ireland respectively and you hereby submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Scottish courts or the courts of Northern Ireland respectively.
Website Terms and Conditions
This website is provided as a public service by On Think Tanks subject to the following terms and conditions. Your use of the site is subject to these terms – if you do not agree to them, please leave the site.
Disclaimer of liability
In the preparation of this website, every effort has been made to offer the most current, correct, and clearly expressed information possible. Nevertheless, inadvertent errors may occur. In particular, but without limiting anything here, we disclaim any responsibility for typographical errors and accuracy of the information that may be contained on these web pages. We also reserve the right to make changes at any time without notice.
The information and data included on these web pages has been compiled from a variety of sources. Unless expressly stated otherwise, opinions given on this website are those of the individuals making them, and not those of On Think Tanks or the competition Funders: On Think Tanks and its funders are not responsible for such opinions or any claims resulting from them. Further, On Think Tanks makes no warranties or representations whatsoever regarding the quality, content, completeness, or adequacy of such information and data. In any situation where printed publications differ from the text contained in this system, the printed documents take precedence.
You must not use any part of the website for any purpose which is illegal, immoral, offensive to others or in breach of others' rights, or submit any content of that nature. This includes, but is not limited to any content or purpose which is discriminatory or harassing on the grounds of race, gender, religion, sexuality, age or any other personal attribute, foul language, inciting hatred, sexually explicit, abusive, defamatory, in breach of copyright or other rights and such other activity as On Think Tanks may from time to time determine is unacceptable. We may remove or block access to any content or communication for any purpose. If you feel that your rights are infringed by anything on this site, please contact the On Think Tanks Communications Team (details below) giving a full description of the offending items and reasons. We will investigate and, if we agree, remove or block such content.
Disclaimer of reliability
While every effort is made to ensure that this website operates reliably, On Think Tanks make no representations or warranties regarding the condition or functionality of this website, its suitability for use, or that the service it provides will be uninterrupted or error-free.
Disclaimer of damages
By using this website, you assume all risks associated with its use, including any risk to your computer, software or data being damaged by any virus, software, or any other file which might be transmitted or activated via this website. On Think Tanks shall not be liable for any direct, indirect, special, incidental, or consequential damages, including, without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, resulting from the use or misuse of this website or the information contained in this website.
Disclaimer of endorsement
Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark, manufacturer, or otherwise does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favouring by On Think Tanks. The views and opinions of authors expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of On Think Tanks, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
Links to other websites
Links from the website may take you to other websites that are not controlled by us. While such links are provided in good faith, we do not approve or endorse the websites to which we have established links in any way. Links are provided for your convenience only and On Think Tanks is not responsible for the content or privacy practices of any other website linked to or from the On Think Tanks Data Visualisation Competition website. Use of any such links will not render On Think Tanks liable to you or any other person for loss or liability of any kind.
We have tried to ensure that links to off-site materials are clearly indicated. If we have linked to your material and not clearly indicated that the content is not from On Think Tanks, please let us know so that we can resolve the matter by making the link clearer, or removing the link.
On Think Tanks holds the copyright to all On Think Tank publications and website content but encourages reproduction of these materials for non-commercial purposes. Proper attribution is requested, stating the original source of the material. Permission to make digital or hard copies of part or all of this work for teaching or not-for-profit use is hereby granted without fee and without a formal request provided that copies are not made or distributed for profit or commercial advantage and that full attribution appears on the first page. Copyright for web content and publications not owned by On Think Tanks must be honoured and permission pursued with the copyright holder. Copying in any other circumstances, including but not limited to any commercial use, re-use in commercial publications, or for translation or adaptation, is not permitted without prior written permission from On Think Tanks for which a fee may be payable.
To request permission to reprint or republish material from this site, or if you are unclear who is the copyright holder, please contact the On Think Tanks Communications Team (details below).
Storage and use of personal information
When you visit the On Think Tanks Data Visualisation website, we log non-personally-identifiable information including but not limited to IP address, profile information, aggregate user data, and browser type. We use this data to monitor usage and improve our website services.
In cases where you have provided On Think Tanks with personal data, this may be used internally to monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the services we provide. We may also use this information to contact you in the future unless or until such a time that you say you do not wish us to do so.
We will not share your personal information with third parties, except when your information is provided to the financial institution that processes our credit card transactions. They receive your name, address, telephone number, credit card number and expiry date solely for the purpose of verifying the credit card number and processing the transaction in a secure environment. They employ industry standard security technology to ensure the confidentiality of your transactions.
Our online order processing systems enable you to make safe purchases. We use the latest encryption technology to ensure that no one can read your information as it travels through our ordering system.
Use of 'cookies'
We want to ensure that our website is easy to use and reliable. This sometimes involves placing small amounts of information on your computer, including small files known as cookies. These files cannot be used to identify you personally.
These pieces of information are used to improve our services for you by, for example:
- enabling a site to recognise your device so you don't have to give the same information several times during one task
- recognising that you may already have given a username and password so you don't need to do it for every web page requested
- measuring how many people are using our sites, so they can be made easier to use and there's enough capacity to ensure they are fast
How you can control cookies
You can control and/or delete cookies as you wish – for details, see AboutCookies.org. You can delete all the cookies already on your computer and you can set most browsers to block them being placed. But if you do this, you may have to manually adjust some preferences every time you visit the site.
On Think Tanks Communications Team
Jeff Knezovich | email@example.com